Sunday, July 6, 2008

Crockpot Cooking/tips

I've made just about everything you can make in a crockpot:) From appetizers straight down to desserts. I have 5 crockpots, and they all get used:) One more than the others (my 6qt digital), just b/c it's my favorite:) But I am a religious crockpot user. For recipes you can visit my blog.

I know they say certain things don't do well in a crockpot, but honestly I've never had a prob with anythign I've ever put in one.

Some tips:
always either spray your cp with nonstick cooking spray or use one of those plastic cp liners (sold by the aluminum foil)......makes clean up easier
for the 1st time using a particular cp, do a "cheap" meal and keep an eye out for the cp....some of the new ones cook way faster than the old ones (they get hotter)
put cp's away from the edge of the counter and don't have the cord hanging down.....don't want any kids pulling them down on themselves
do NOT open the lid while cooking, unless recipe calls adding something later (it takes a long time to recover the temp lost when it is open)......and then add as quickly as possible

Here's a recipe that I had published in Gooseberry Patch's Ready, Set, Eat (it's similar to Amy Lynn's mom's pot roast):

Farmhouse Pot Roast

Recipe By :Cherylann
Serving Size : 8
Categories : Crockpot

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
5 pounds roast, trimmed
8 large red potatoes -- cut into chunks
1/2 pound baby carrots
3 stalks celery -- chopped
1 can mushroom pieces
26 ounces cream of mushroom soup
14 1/2 ounces beef broth
2 cups water

Put roast in bottom of 5-6 quart crockpot. Top with potatoes, carrots, celery and mushrooms.

Pour in soup, broth and water.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until beef is done and falling apart.

NOTES : Can substitute 3 beef bouillon cubes and 2 cups of water for the beef broth.
Can substitute venison for beef.






Friday:
On our crockpot theme, we invite you to share recipes, techniques, things that work and things that don't.
My personal favorite is my mother's "Cheater" Pot Roast: Mix a can each of cream of celery, french onion and golden mushroom soup with ONE soup can of water in the crockpot. Add your roast and veggies and cook on low 8-10 hrs. When you're ready to eat, the soups have created an "instant" gravy that you can serve as-is or thicken on the stove, if you like. The soups can also be changed to suit your taste (i.e., beef or vegetable broth for the french onion).
I also like to do chili or spaghetti sauce on low for 10 hours.

No comments: