Sunday, July 6, 2008

Freezer Staples

I usually don't keep a bunch of meat in the freezer, b/c I usually buy according to what my needs are for my oamc'ing. But I do like to have these on hand for quick meals or to add to salads:
ground beef (browned, drained)
chicken breasts (already marinated)
pancakes (homemade & flash frozen)

Freezer staples that I have on hand now:
dumplings
oamc meals
bread
whole chicken
shrimp
lunch meat
a few convenience items
frozen pizza (need to get in the habit of making my own)

Tuesday:
Think of the freezer as an extension of your pantry. What are the things you need to keep in your freezer at all times? Just remember to make this fit what your family eats and likes--and you don't have to have a deep freeze. I personally do not have one, but have no trouble at all keeping a few basics in there along with other items.
Some Basics to consider: Meats, asst vegetables, doughs (puff pastry, phyllo, bread/roll), fruit (peaches, berries, etc), prepared sauces (leftovers fill this role nicely), 1 frozen meal per person in the house (just in case), precooked meats (such as chicken, ground beef), chopped onions, sliced bell peppers.

No comments: